BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Almost Forgot

I almost forgot to blog today! =8-O

I'm reminded again that I don't blog "right." I should be interesting and funny to attract visitors or find a niche--like craft or industry--and address it. Only that's not me. My life isn't all that interesting and it's hard to fake it and I've never been funny. There's a reason why I don't write romantic comedy. :-) I love reading it, but don't have the voice for it. The only time I'm funny is when my characters say something humorous. It's them, not me.

I've tried talking about craft, but I ran out of steam pretty darn fast. I'm a sit-down-and-write author and I don't spend a lot of time analyzing how or why I'm doing something for fear of paralyzing myself. It makes it darn hard to talk about craft when I don't think about it at all. As for industry stuff, well, I keep up loosely on what's happening, but I work full time and have tight deadlines--I don't have time to become an authority on the subject.

As for being controversial, that's not me. I crave peace. I want everyone to like me and I want to like everyone else. I hate it when someone stirs up a tempest in a teapot and I would just dread coming to my own blog if I started doing that. I offered my opinion on the state of the romance genre once, and inadvertently hurt someone's feelings. Maybe it's considered wussy to not want to ruffle feathers, but I don't want to burn energy on this kind of thing. I like smooth waters and I do everything I can to keep my life running without snags.

I already thought this through when I'd only been blogging a short time and decided that I needed to blog in a way that was comfortable for me and if I never attracted thousands of hits a day, so be it.

I had an epiphany about promotion and how much I could handle thanks to a couple of authors on one of the loops I'm on. I needed to hear them say it over and over, but it finally sank in. The words of wisdom? "The only thing you can control is the writing." And "You can only do what you have time for to promote the book." Two tough lessons for me, but I'm learning to let go and work on the one thing I can control (kind of)--my story.

So sorry y'all for not blogging in a way that's super interesting and makes millions of people flock here every day to read more pearls of wisdom, but what it comes down to is I have to be me.

In writing/book news, I filled out my cover concept form for the book I'm writing now. This is always an interesting endeavor, but my theory on this is to give the artist enough to work with and let them create.