BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 11, 2006

There's Writing and Then There's Writing

I hate writing letters.

People seem to think that because I'm a writer that I can write anything, but it doesn't work that way. Like when I was in college and was constantly writing advertising copy, I became really good at it. But now, when I haven't done it in years, I can't write back cover copy or pithy little blurbs to save my life. For me, though, the worst has always been any kind of professional-type letter.

I never know what to say. I try to sound businessy and I think it ends up sounding terse and looking too short, so then I add more, which feels as if it were just put in there. Anyway, my letters are horrible and I loathe writing them. Unfortunately for me, I have two projects on my To Do List that require letters. In fact, one is going to demand I be pretty damn eloquent. Sigh.

My major dilemma in letter-land is a cover page for the Advanced Reading Copies of Eternal Nights that I want to send out to booksellers. Somehow, I think "Here's my ARC" isn't going to cut it, but what do I write? Do I give a brief synopsis of the book? A teaser blurb? How much info? With a couple of the booksellers, I can add a handwritten note saying it was nice to meet them in Reno, but for most, I can't even personalize it.

Anyway, this is something that's fast approaching the ASAP To Do List so I'm going to have to figure something out. I really wish, though, that writing did translate across the board like most people believe it does.

Nothing really exciting going on here. I was falling asleep in my chair last night--I'm severely sleep deprived right now--but when I went to bed, my thoughts started racing again. I hate when that happens, but that is the harbinger of my insomnia problems. I popped a couple of Advil, though, and that relaxed me enough to put me out. I seriously need to either clone myself or find a way to be creative and productive without sleep.

Temperatures plummeted here and it's 39 with the wind chill. It's May for God's sake!