BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Tuesday Adventure Addendum

I forgot to mention this on my Tuesday post!

I unpacked a few things before I went down to register for the conference, and as I look around the room, I realize there's no hair dryer in the bathroom. I checked the closet, all the drawers, everywhere they could hide a dryer. Nothing.

I'm like OMG, the website said they had hair dryers! I mean this is like the most critical amenity ever--even beyond the in-room coffee pot! I'm panicking, thinking I'm going to have to go to the mall and buy a dryer.

I exit the room and there's a maid coming out of the room next door so I asked her if the rooms are supposed to have dryers, but she didn't understand what I was saying, and since I never took Spanish in high school, I couldn't explain. So I stopped at the concierge desk and asked and he said the room should have a dryer. I was instantly relieved. He suggested I look in the closet, so I named all the places I'd looked. He said he'd have one delivered and do you know what? That dryer was in the room before I got back there. That's one of the reasons why I loved the Marriott so much.

The reason I didn't love the Marriott so much all has to do with the maid service. I reached for a towel to dry my hands and the thing was covered in hair. Someone else's hair. Ewww!

But wait, it gets better. Wednesday morning, I climb in the shower, pull the curtain shut and someone else's dirty wash cloth was on the rod. The maid didn't find it or something. Another huge EWWWW moment!

And the room cleaning remained at this level for the entire conference. I can't even tell you about the hair balls developing on the bathroom floor after 4 days of blow drying. I've never been in a hotel where the maids didn't use that sticky thing and catch all the loose hair on the floor.

So for the rest of the hotel staff -- A+
for the housekeeping crew -- D-