BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, August 27, 2006

No Time For Having Fun

I'm not sure whether to label yesterday a good day or not. I made progress on my revisions, but not as much as I'd hoped/wanted to. It always seems to work out that way, though, and my dawdling yesterday morning was really bad, so I got a later start than I'd planned. However, I did get one of the hard changes completely done--I think it turned out well--and I'm about half done with the other hard one. After I finish that, it should be much easier to take care of the rest and to layer these changes I made throughout the rest of the story. For the first time since I finished the novella in June, my head was in the characters and their story and that's a good thing.

The Twins won yesterday, making it a stellar baseball day! I know, I know, but I haven't mentioned baseball here in months! I'm due. They're playing the White Sox--our arch enemy--and both teams are vying for the wild card in the playoffs. Because the Twins had won on Friday night, they had a 1/2 game lead.

Johann Santana was pitching for us and he's a Cy Young candidate. He gave up a couple of runs, but when he came out of the game, the team had a 6-3 lead. Our bullpen is normally totally reliable, but not last night. Both our setup guy and our closer gave up runs, including the tying run. Our manager had no other options in the pen left for extra innings except for a pitcher they normally only bring in when the team is either way behind or way ahead. And this pitcher did it! He pitched two shutout innings and the Twins won in 11 innings. Yea! The team was totally stressing me out last night, though.

One side note, the game was also being broadcast on WGN last night and when that kind of thing happens, I usually like to spend a little time watching the opposing team's game coverage because it can give an interesting perspective. My opinion on the Chicago White Sox announcers is that they were extremely obnoxious and such devout homers that they can't call themselves professionals. Yeah, all broadcast duos obviously lean toward their team, but never to the extent that these two did. Ugh! At least pretend to be semi-professional, guys--you're breaking my journalism major's heart.

Okay, no more baseball talk, although if I had more time, I might have to do a baseball blog during the season. I love to talk about the games. :-)

I mentioned this earlier in the week, but it's a problem I've been dealing with for days. The reprint of Ravyn's Flight is apparently available nowhere except from my publisher right now and stores can't even order it. It's very frustrating for me. People can't buy the book if they can't find it. Even Amazon and BN.com don't have it and they're usually the best source for backlist that the stores don't carry. So I've been in contact with my editor about this and it's gone up the chain of command. I'm hoping something happens to get it fixed, but TBH, I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, I've set all my Order Your Copy links for RF to the Dorchester website.

Title for today's blog is because it was absolutely beautiful here yesterday. Warm, but not humid. Sunny. Gentle breeze. And instead of being outside, I was working on the computer indoors.