BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Music Maestro If You Please

For almost a week now, I've had this song going through my head: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot. I have no clue why. I haven't heard it on the radio recently, I know that, but one day last week it just popped into my mind and it won't go away. Yesterday, I finally downloaded it, the theory being if you can't beat them, join them. I listened to the song over and over yesterday evening and I got tired of GL singing it, but I still have it in my mind.

To counter this, I also downloaded Ryne and Creed's theme songs. Ryne's is Here I go Again by Whitesnake and Creed's is Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas. I played those for a while too, but no dice. It's the Edmund Fitzgerald that's still replaying in my head--over and over and over.

Any advice on how to drive this song away? If other music hasn't cured it, I'm not sure what else will.

You know what's kind of funny? I never associated music with my writing until Ravyn's Flight. That's how the whole theme song thing started. I was driving home, listening to a DEVO CD and Girl U Want came on. I played it over and over, but I wasn't sure why. Then it dawned on me, this song fit the book I was working on perfectly! (Okay, I was a little slow, but this was a first for me.) There was a couple of lines in there that were right on.

After I sold RF and I was putting up a trivia page about the book (including how I got the idea), I listed the theme song. Now I know most people aren't DEVO fans and probably the only song they recognize is Whip It, but I didn't care. This was too cool not to share!

The theme song thing happened again with The Power of Two. Again, I was in the car and Corey Hart came on the radio. Never Surrender. That fit Cai perfectly. No matter what, she'd lift her chin and keep going.

Through a Crimson Veil didn't really have a naturally occurring musical theme. That kind of bummed me out, but I picked one anyway. Eternal Nights had several possible choices including Martina McBride's My Baby Loves Me, but the one that kept echoing and seemed to fit was an INXS song--Two Worlds Collided. It had Wyatt and Kendall's meet mentioned in it, how could it not be their song?

No theme song for the novella, so I picked one. Another INXS song.

The thing that's kind of funny is that I almost never listen to music while I'm actually writing. Oh, now and then, I'll flip in a CD without singing on it, usually a movie soundtrack like from Braveheart or Titanic, but I mostly like it dead silent when I write. Usually, the TV is on (Baseball is the preferred viewing option) with the sound muted.

So does anyone want to discuss music? If you're a writer, do you listen to music when you write? Do you give your books theme songs like me? If you're a reader, does the idea of a book having a theme song interest you? Heck, does the trivia page about my books with small facts about the characters and where the idea for the story came from even interest you?