BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Quotations

I like to collect quotations that I think are cool or that speak to me in some way. Before I sold my first book, I used to include a quote at the bottom of each email as a signature. Now, of course, my signature line is my current and upcoming books. I'm on a board, though, that's very small and intimate and they know me and when my books are coming out, so I use a quote there. Right now, I'm posting with:
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." - Aldous Huxley
I'm not using that quote because I feel negative, I'm using it because I find the concept intriguing. And wouldn't it make an interesting story premise? I have no ideas or plans to use it, at least not right now, but it still makes me wonder what if?

So my plan for today's blog post is to share some of the quotes I've seen online and share them. And yes, that means I couldn't come up with anything particularly interesting to say today and I'm relying on other people. :-)
"Everyone has a talent; what is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads."--Erica Jong
"You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it. " - Charles Buxton
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy." ~Guillaume Apollinaire (1880-1918)~

"The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory." --Chinese Proverb

"Competing in sports has taught me that if I'm not willing to give 120%, somebody else will." --Ron Blomberg, baseball player

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." --Goethe

"Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will." --Jawaharlal Nehru, first prime minister of India

"The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look. It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person." -- P. J. O'Rourke

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

There you go, some thoughts for the day. :-) Now I have to go get ready for my chapter meeting. I missed September, so I'd like to get to this month's gathering.