BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Friday, November 03, 2006

Just When I Thought Things Couldn't Get Any Worse

Because of an obnoxious coworker, the day job hasn't been a whole lot of fun to go to lately, but he was the only really bad thing about the area I work in. My other coworkers are great and so is my boss. Or maybe I should say was.

Yep, it was announced yesterday, my manager has a new position. Who is taking over? A manager who is so awful to work for that 90% of his current department are new people. Almost all the other employees who were there, some of them for many, many years, left for other jobs. This other department is on my floor and I've heard some of the ridiculous things he's done to make working for him hell on Earth.

I'm guessing this is going to be the tipping point for our department and that my engineers are going to start looking for new positions. Despite all the pains of working in the airline industry, the one thing we had was a good boss. We don't have that any longer. All the other fleets have lost lots of engineers, but we hadn't--this is still almost the complete crew that was in the area when I started there. I don't think that's going to last.

I have to wonder if someone is trying to tell me something? Sigh. Anyway, I'm checking for new positions within my company, but I have two obstacles--my pay grade (there aren't many jobs out there at this level) and the fact that I don't have the mental energy to spare in order to learn a new job (the next book is due in January). The only positive thing is that this might be the tipping point for Mister Congeniality (obnoxious coworker) too and if he leaves, at least things would improve on that front.

Sorry about going on about the day job. I really do try not to talk about it too much here, but sometimes I can't help it.

My dad came over last night, and now that the curtains are in, we were able to arrange the furniture in the office. I'm not thrilled with the setup, but there really is no great way to put everything. It was also driven home how badly I need enclosed storage.

Instead of going to bed at a decent time, I flipped on VH1 and watched 100 Greatest Hits of the 80s as voted on by viewers. I have to totally disagree with the songs that finished first and second. Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi was a good song, but IMO it's not the best song of the decade. I was actually pretty surprised that Michael Jackson's Beat It didn't take the top spot, although I wouldn't have chosen that song either.

The song that finished second was by Def Leppard. Again, IMO, no way. I wouldn't even put them in the top ten. I think, though, that a lot of metal lovers voted (or a few metal lovers voted a lot of times) because there were all kinds of songs in the countdown that I thought were ranked a lot higher than they deserved to be. Guns 'N Roses had every song that hit the radio waves make the list. Please. Okay, I confess, GNR is way too metal for me. But I didn't have a problem with AC/DC's Shook Me All Night Long being top ten or Twisted Sister or some of the other metal bands coming in where they did.

Yikes! I just looked at the time! It's 5:07! I have to run!