BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 16, 2006

South Pacific Mind Trip

My Polynesian heroine--whoever she is--showed up again yesterday. One minute I was minding my own business, the next she was there. I know how it happened. I hit "play any track" on my MP3 player and it chose a track from Horizons. I bought a CD of the music from the Polynesian Cultural Center on my last visit to Hawaii. I can't remember which song it was or which island, but it was enough to bring her back.

Her. Sigh. I still don't know her name. I'm not sure if she's from a story I already know about or if she's from a brand new story. I keep seeing this one scene over and over--her with her hero. He's part Polynesian as well, but for some reason I don't know about, he insists he's American. I'm guessing there must be an interesting reason why he denies his heritage, but I don't know it. He--whoever he is--hasn't talked to me or bothered me in any manner. BTW, he's pretty hot. :-)

But back to my heroine. She promised not to interfere while I write the WIP, but she's already disrupting me. I know her book has some paranormal elements, although I've no clue if it's a straight paranormal or a futuristic story (or some other subgenre). So there I was last night, searching Amazon for books on South Pacific mythology. I found one that looks like it might have the information I'm looking for and I also found a big book that covers the mythologies of the world in an encyclopedic fashion. I figured that might be a good reference as well. I also spent the entire afternoon at work listening to Horizons.

Do plotters have people show up out of the blue like this and start talking to them? Disrupting them when they're trying to write about different characters? If not, then being a plotter is starting to look a little better. Just a little. I mostly love the voices in my head--even when they get in my way. I wish, though, that I had a little bit more control on who was talking loudest.

One of the things that I found interesting was the way the heroine was goading the hero about his denial of his heritage. Not so much that she was doing it because she struck me as having an edge, but the fact that she pointed out that he's hotter for her than he's been for any other woman and it has something to do with the fact they're both descended from the same people. I don't get that, but I think it might have something to do with the paranormal element--whatever that is.

See my frustration? Not only do characters continually do this to me--pop in when I'm working on another story--but they give me just enough information to tantalize me and not enough to satisfy that curiosity. Argh!