BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Right-Y, Tight-Y

At work yesterday, I told several of the guys about connecting my high-speed internet. And since I've never claimed to be mechanical or handy, I had no problem confessing that my biggest problem was turning the cable connector the wrong way. All of them--to a man--said the same thing: Don't you know right-y, tight-y, left-y, loose-y?

Um, no, I don't. I'd never heard that before, but in one day, I heard it multiple times. They were all former airplane mechanics and I couldn't help but wondering was that day one at A and P school? Okay, class, repeat after me. Right-y, tight-y. Left-y, loose-y. Maybe this is why I'm a writer--it takes so little for my imagination to go off on a tangent. You can be certain, though, that I will remember which way to turn things for at least a week. Maybe even two. ;-)

Today, the television repair guy comes to--hopefully--fix my TV. I've only been able to get sound on the 4 local stations that the cable company actually left on their original channel numbers. I figured it was cable since sound wasn't out on all the stations, but the cable guy tested it and that wasn't the case. Fortunately, my dad is going to wait for the TV guy and deal with this for me. No doubt he's going to blame it on cable, but we'll see. And likely he'll be taking my set away to be repaired. Sigh. It's not that big a deal since I have the second set and I don't watch much television anyway, but they never seem to be able to fix anything when they come out to the house. (and that TV is huge and heavy!)