BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Moulin Rouge!

This week's movie is Moulin Rouge! starring Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. It's from 2001 and I'm sure everyone's seen it already, which is probably a good thing since I'm not sure how to review this movie.

___Warning: Spoiler Alert___

There will be spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie and plan to, stop here.

The basic storyline is that a penniless poet, Christian (McGregor), goes to France, meets up with a group of performers and becomes their playwright. They go to the Moulin Rouge to encourage Satine (Kidman) to star in their play. Satine is a cabaret performer and a courtesan. Because of a mix-up, she believes that Christian is the duke she's supposed to have an assignation with. They fall in love. The duke is wildly jealous. They pretend it's part of a play which the duke bankrolls. He's still wildly jealous. Etc.

TBH, I'm not sure what to think of this movie or how to review it. I was mulling over what to say here from the time the disk ended. When the film started, my first thought was what the hell is this? By the time I reached the end, I'd decided I liked it and that it had charm and wit. It's not something I'd like to see again, but it was an entertaining show.

Normally, I try to give thoughtful reasons about what did and didn't work for me, but I can't really do that this time. I did like the way the music was used and that modern music was in a movie set in 1900.

I thought the duke's obsession with Satine was overblown and that her death was conveniently timed, but I'm not sure any of this mattered. I think the plot was merely there to hang the songs on and that it was kind of beside the point. And I believe this is why I have trouble coming up with a cogent review.

I'm rating this on the Netflix scale on which 3=Liked it and 4=Really liked it.

3.5 stars