BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar Talk--Mostly

I watched the tail end of the Oscars last night. I didn't realize they were on. :-( Yes, apparently it is possible to miss all the hype if you're not paying attention and don't watch much television. In my defense, though, I thought the Academy Awards were always on in March. Am I remembering wrong?

I was getting impatient toward the end--it's like this epic performance that never ends. It was nearly 11pm and I was getting ready for bed, but since it was so close to the end, I wanted to see the award for best picture. Then I started thinking, you know, as bad as it is to watch these things at home, can you imagine sitting in the audience? I was in my jammies and sitting on the bed for the last 20 minutes, but can you imagine wearing a full-length evening gown, putting on makeup, doing your hair, wearing all that jewelry and being held prisoner in the auditorium for 4 1/2 hours? Gah!

Anyhow, The Departed won for Best Picture. I don't know anything about this movie, but I'm going to check it and the other finalists out and see if any of them are something I'd like to rent.

One of the coolest things was that screen where those tumblers or acrobats or whoever they were made silhouettes of movies. I only saw two because I came in so late, Snakes on a Plane and The Departed. As always, I thought the thank yous went on too long. I flipped away when that went on and watched snow coverage on the local news.

My favorite part of the awards is seeing all the actresses in their dresses. If I hadn't been busy writing all day (and if I'd realized the Oscars were on this weekend), I would have tuned in to watch one of the red carpet shows so I could see more of them than just what the presenters were wearing. If I finish writing early enough today (please God!), maybe I can watch the Fashion Police. Although, I must confess, they've raved about some dresses I thought were hideous.

Tomorrow it's back to the EDJ (Evil Day Job). And it's snowing--still or again, I'm not sure which. I had someone plow out my driveway for me, but my dad came over, wasn't happy with it and cleaned out the driveway some more. :-)

There isn't much else to say. I worked all day, but didn't get as much done as I'd hoped. That would be the sentence that sums up my 4 day weekend. :-( But from the beginning, I've fought for every word in this story.