BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, March 05, 2007

My Magical Society

I finished my first read through of the galleys for In the Midnight Hour. I'm not sure I've ever had a set of page proofs that were this clean before. Wow! I might not even have to do a spreadsheet. =8-O Of course, maybe I will anyway because I'm compulsive that way.

I'm taking an online class about Scottish History this month. Don't worry, I have no plans to write a historical and I doubt I ever will. But my magical society from Midnight Hour and the book I'm working on now has its ties back to Scotland and I figured it might be nice to know more about the history of this country. What I find extraordinarily odd is how this all happened.

I'm talking with Ryne, the heroine in Midnight Hour, and she's giving him incredible amounts of information on her people. I've mentioned how my characters will say things like: "my name starts with an R" and then have to page through baby name books. The same thing happened to me with the society's name. It starts with a G. Sigh. At least this time, I also was told it was Gaelic. To me, Gaelic is Irish, so I do a search for a Gaelic dictionary, get a lot of hits and find an Irish Gaelic one. I go through all the G's and nothing is right. I'm not quite sure why I tried the Scots Gaelic dictionary next, but I did and there it was: Gineal: race, breed, offspring.

I ended up buying two Scots Gaelic dictionaries and there is a smattering of words in Midnight Hour. Luckily, I'm writing paranormal romance, and even more fortunate than that, my characters speak Canan, not Gaelic. And their language just borrowed from Gaelic so it's "bastardized." :-) My world. My rules.

Anyway, I'm reaching a point where I'm going to have to start putting up information on Midnight Hour. I'm shooting for April 1 for an excerpt, but I might hold off till May. We'll see how it all goes. I have a lot of work left to do on the book from hell and I'm trying not to get too distracted with other stuff. Bad enough that I have to gear up promotion for Midnight Hour now and that's always time consuming.