BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Oh, I'm a Lumberjack and I'm Okay...

With apologies to Monty Python's Flying Circus, that song title was just too perfect not to use.

I had some fun last night. What falls down must be cleaned up, so there I was with these huge clipper things cutting branches off the downed tree. The trunk that fell is still attached to the tree itself, maybe 15-20 feet up, so we had to be careful not to bring the whole thing down on us as we worked. Anyway, the tree is stripped as high as I could reach with the clippers and what's left will have to be tackled by someone else. My dad ran everything through a chipper so now there's more mulch and I'm not sore this morning.

It's an absolutely beautiful morning here today. The sun is shining, there's a gentle breeze, humidity is low, and temperatures are comfortable. I have the windows open and I'm sitting here thinking, wow, wouldn't it be nice if every day could be like this?

Anyway, I've been trying to stay off the computer when I'm at home. I'm on it so much when I'm writing and I'm on it all day at work, that I feel like I need to make an effort to sever the connection with I'm home. It's gotten tough, though, to keep up with email and with MySpace. How do other people keep up with everything and not spend every waking minute on the computer?

Today, my local chapter meets and I plan to attend. I don't think I've been to a meeting since January because of the book I just turned in. I needed those Saturdays to write--desperately--but I missed getting together with everyone. When I get home, I plan to spend the rest of the day outside. Now that my deck is stained, I can put out my flower boxes and lounge chair, hang my wind spinner, and hopefully, get my bug zapper put together and out, too.

And I'm finding my Polynesian mythology book very interesting. I'm only through the first chapter which covers the history of most of the islands in the Polynesian Triangle, but that was nearly riveting. I'm about 90% sure that my heroine is part Tahitian and that the hero is part Maori, but I didn't get that from reading the book. I suspected it back around the time she first popped into my head, and that sense has become surer over time. I still have no story for the two of them, but I'm itching to know what it is. :-)