BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wicked Game and Other Tunes

I like to use theme songs for my books. I've mentioned this before, including that it started by accident. I'd been finishing up Ravyn's Flight while listening to a DEVO CD and Girl U Want just fit the story so perfectly, I adopted it as the theme. Ever since then, I've always picked a song for each book.

You'd think that since In the Midnight Hour was titled because of the lyrics in a Billy Idol song that Rebel Yell would be its theme, but it's not. As much was I wanted to use that, it didn't fit nearly as well as Here I Go Again by Whitesnake. "Like a drifter I was born to walk alone." Those lyrics fit Ryne (the heroine) as she was in the beginning of the story.

Then there's In Twilight's Shadow, my 2008 book. I was positive that book's theme was Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas. It fit Creed (the hero) to a tee. Only as I was writing the book and the story became less about Creed and more about Maia, the song changed in my mind too. When I list the theme song on the trivia page of this book, I think it's going to be On the Dark Side by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. It came on the radio one day while I was still writing this story and I was like, yeah!

I really, really want to use Wicked Game by Chris Isaak as a theme song, but it doesn't work for the story I want to use it on and I can't force it. I don't have a song for this one yet. Actually, I don't have a story for this one yet, just two characters who are kind of talking to me and getting me interested in sharing their story. Or maybe stories since the hero has this brother.... :-)

Maybe I'll get a chance to use Wicked Game yet. ;-)