BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Just Call Me "Nature Girl." Yeah, Really!

I bet you think I'm joking about the nature girl thing, right? I'm not. It was a seriously cool moment yesterday evening.

I went out around 7pm to water the flowers in my tree ring. I'm just standing there, not moving at all, and letting the water spray onto the plants when I see something to my side. I move my eyes since my head was already turned that direction and what do I see? A tiny little hummingbird hovering no more than five feet away from me!

That really surprised me. First of all, I'd never seen a hummingbird in real life before. And the second thing was how close he was. That was amazing. I kept expecting him to notice me and fly away, but he stayed there for a long time before landing on a tree branch. He was maybe there twenty seconds before he took off, but wow!

The only thing I can think is that he was attracted by the lilies since I've never seen one anywhere around the area before this.

Speaking of the flowers, my Sumatra Lily is about 3/4 open, but I didn't take a picture of it. Not only is it not open all the way, but it's droopy. The only thing I can think of is that the storm did that. The other storm damage I noticed was that a lot of soil was eroded and the tops of the bulbs and/or the roots of my lilies were showing. That means a trip to the store for more dirt to put down.