BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Friday, August 31, 2007

One Done, On With the Next

Yesterday evening, I printed out my synopsis and took it out on the deck to read. It was a glorious evening--not too hot, not too cold, not too humid. Rare for Minnesota. :-)

I went through the hard copy twice, and I found some mistakes that I never saw on the screen. (For example, I said herself not himself in relation to the hero.) How does something like that slip past? I know, the mind fills in what it should be, but still....

Anyway, I made my corrections and printed the darn thing out. Final count: 20 pages. Gah! I really did try to cut, but I do I do a detailed synopsis with fewer pages? What do I leave out? I figured 10 pages counted as detailed, but well, it wasn't enough. :-( I'll get this out to my agent today and I'll have a guilt-free weekend. There's a family wedding Sunday, so not trying to cram in work on the synopsis is a good thing. I'm still going to be working on some world building, but that's thinking, not computer work.

World building is a funny thing--for me at least. Some of the details come fast and furious and it's all I can do to get them down. Other details don't come and I have to spend a lot of time thinking about them. This is great take a pad of paper out on the deck stuff and I wish I was going to be able to do that this weekend.

This is the idea that had me reading up on quantum mechanics, and at last, I'm free to think about it. Actually, information started coming in this week, probably because I had the first draft of the synopsis down and all that was left was fine tuning it. I'm even starting to get details on the characters for the first book and that has me even more excited. No matter how cool a premise is, I know it's going nowhere until I have both a hero and a heroine and a general idea of their story.

Now, though, I have more research to do. I swear I'm reading non-fiction more widely for this book than I have for just about any idea I can recall. Of course, some of what I'm looking at is to see if a thread in the world building will work or if I have to keep looking, but it's interesting to have an idea that's so wide ranging.