BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, August 13, 2007

To Mac or Not To Mac, That Is the Question

One of the loops I'm on has been having a discussion about Mac versus PC. The focus is on laptops, but I'm to the point where I'm ready to replace my desktop and I've been curious about going back to Mac. You see, back a long time ago, my first ever home computer was a Mac. I totally loved it and would have stayed with them forever--except for one thing. Price. I needed to replace my Mac and I could get five times the computer for a fraction of the price if I switched to a PC. I did and haven't looked back since then.

However, I keep hearing things about Vista, especially about all the security windows that pop up. Particularly for power users. While I'm not ready to join the Geek Squad, I am an advanced user. I also know those pop up security alerts would absolutely make me insane. So now I'm debating.

Mac has a program that allows use of PC programs on it, which is a definitely plus because I use WordPerfect and I intend to continue using WP until they pry it out of my cold, dead hands--to borrow a phrase from the gun people. :-)

I spent some time poking around the Apple website and the iMac is way cool. The computer is built in behind the screen so that's all I'd have on my desk (once I figured out where to put my current PC desktop). I've been away from the Mac world for a long time, though, and I'm wondering if this has everything I need? Do I want the cool iMac or the Mac Pro? That has a tower, but it almost sounds as if it's for graphic artists or people who are going to do more film/picture work than I ever will.

Anyway, it's something to think about, but I'm not going to rush into anything. My knowledge is PC-based and trying to relearn Mac... Anyone want to jump into this with a pro or con for me?