BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Flower Pushers

When I ordered my flower bulbs last week, I signed up for some email newsletters from a couple of nurseries as well. I'm not exactly a master gardener and I figured that I could use some of the information they'd pass along, and hey, finding out about deals beforehand would be cool.

I didn't realize that I'd opened myself up to the flower pushers! Take this morning for example. I have an email offering me two dahlias--huge ones--for free if I bought a dahlia collection. Free flower bulbs. The temptation rose. So what if I don't have room for the flowers I already have on the way? You can never have too much life and color in the yard, right?

The only thing that saved me is that the bulbs have to be lifted for the winter and there's no way I'm doing that.

I can so, though, that if I'm continually tempted this way, it's going to be a problem. I mean sooner or later they're going to try to push bulbs that I can leave in the ground through a Minnesota a winter, and then what? Can I hold out against the lure?

Yes, I have considered unsubscribing from the emails, but I'm not ready to do that just yet. I'm betting that when winter rolls around, I'm going to love reading about flowers and seeing the bright, happy pictures will help relieve the cabin fever. I guess I'll have to see how well I do saying no. :-)