BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Look What "Cereal Killer" Started

This morning shortly after I arrived at work, someone joked about another person being a "cereal killer." I could only roll my eyes. It was funny when Susan Elizabeth Phillips used it in Nobody's Baby But Mine, but that was ten years ago. Now, it's so old, all you can do is roll your eyes.

I started thinking, though, when did the SEP book come out? Has it really been 10 years? That just doesn't seem possible. Nobody's Baby is the book that made SEP a must-buy author for me and it's still my favorite of her titles. So, wanting to check out just how old the "cereal killer" humor was, I popped over to Amazon and I was right--the book's been out for ten years.

But what really amazed me was that there were people who didn't like this book. Oh, I know that there's no way everyone in the world is going to love the same things, but this is Nobody's Baby! I checked out a couple of these low-rated reviews and I had to wonder if they'd read the same book I had. Wow.

I was introduced to SEP at a conference a few years ago and I probably came off as a complete idiot because I had no clue what to say to her. Okay, yeah, I'm shy so I usually have trouble meeting people, but this was worse because this was SEP! I was so tongue-tied, I don't think I even managed to tell her how much I loved her books. Probably, though, I would have looked even more idiotic if I'd started gushing because I never do that well.

Now I'm thinking, I should reread Nobody's Baby But Mine and then after that I could reread Susan Andersen's Head Over Heels, another favorite book of mine and one that I read over and over on my last real vacation (Jan 2002, right before I sold my first book). Of course, I don't know when I'd squeeze the rereads in, but it's oh, so tempting.

Anyone else have any favorite books that you love so much, you can't understand how come everyone doesn't love them? Seriously, I do know we all don't have the same taste in books, but is there one book where most people agree?