BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Friday, September 14, 2007

Next!

Yesterday, I managed to finish one of the big items on my To Do List. With that taken care of, I moved on to editing one of my proposals. This is one that's been back and forth to my agent a few times now and has been revised a lot. It's a stronger story now, I think, but I'm starting to get a little tired of it. The first 50 pages, though, are ready to go now, but I have one more scene and a synopsis to go through.

That scene, well, it's wrong. I think. I haven't read it in a year, so I'm going by memory, but I think I'm going to throw out the whole thing and start over. I think I'll keep the same setting and the same end to the chapter, but I don't know about the rest of it.

You see, the idea is to change it from the hero's story to the heroine's. If y'all have read Through a Crimson Veil, you'll notice that it's Conor's story told primarily from Mika's Point of View (POV). That's what I'm trying to shift to in this story and it hasn't been easy. There are two scenes in the first 50 pages from the hero's POV, and I wasn't able to transition either one of them to the heroine's despite weeks of trying. Since their POV is split about 50/50, the problem isn't the heroine's screen time (so to speak), but that the hero has the stronger personality.

I've considered that, too and part of it is that she's a chameleon, an observer. She wants to be low key. That means that the hero is the one that stands out more. I can't change her personality, that's not how my characters work with me, but I thought I could give her a scene from her POV that makes her take center stage. That's why I want to rewrite this final scene in the proposal because she's still in the role of observer. Might have to shake her up a little--whether she likes it or not.