BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Surprise Package

Yesterday I come home from the EDJ (Evil Day Job) and I find a bag. Confused, since I didn't remember ordering anything that would come shipped that way, I studied the return address label and discovered some more of my flower bulbs have arrived. These are the alliums and they grow to 50" in height according to what I read with flowers almost as big as an adult's head. How cool is that? I open the package and there are my six bulbs. These things are huge! They're smaller than a baseball, but not by that much. Pretty incredible.

Then I spot the stems and look closer. Along with my allium bulbs are two bare root plants--of some sort. Now I'm really confused because I know I didn't order them. I don't even know what they are for heaven's sake. I look for a packing list. Nothing. I go online and check my email confirmation, and sure enough, all I ordered was the alliums--nothing else.

I go back to the package, look some more, and finally I think to flip the package with the bare root plants over. There it was stamped on the plastic: Burning Bush. I know I didn't order that.

Back to the email confirmation, only this time I spot the line that says "Free gift earned." Um, I guess the two burning bushes are my free gift. This just seems odd to me that any nursery would just send a bush that will grow to be 6 feet tall and 4-6 feet wide without asking first if the customer is interested. How many people throw these poor plants away, killing them without thought? I, of course, can't do that, so now I'll have two bushes in my yard.

I'd actually considered ordering them, believe it or not, but decided not to because they have berries and I didn't want those things falling all over my yard. Looks like I'm going to have even more birds stopping by when those things grow.

So now this weekend, after my writing chapter meeting, I'll be planting two burning bushes--somewhere. I just need to figure out where to put them.