BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Why Did I Want a Garden?

I'm not sure how Saturday ended up straying so far from my intentions. It started out okay. I had an appointment to get my haircut at 11:30, but I wrote a little on my Polynesian story before I left and I watched one of the DVDs I'd bought for research. The appointment went quickly and I arrived home ready to start laundry and write. Only I ran into my dad. I suggested we pull the flower boxes off the deck and porch--a quick job. That's not quite how it worked, though.

While I was outside, I decided to walk down to the new garden and take a look at it. You won't believe what I saw. Deer tracks. And they went deep--right over my bulbs. Argh!

I showed them to my dad who decided we should hurry up and put the chicken wire up around it. Which meant that we had to mulch it first. We didn't cover the whole thing, just where there were plants, but it took up 6 bags of the cedar mulch. Then we put down the weed killer, I watered it, and my dad went to his house to cut stakes to hold the fencing. We were out there until 5pm.

No further writing was done.