BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Joys of Characters--Or Something

Characters can be really interesting to work with. I mean that both for real and sarcastically. :-) My current problem (and I'm not sure that's quite the right word) is that Logan isn't letting me see below the surface. Oh, he had me fooled for a while, thinking that's all there was, but I figured out that there's more than the easygoing guy he's let me see so far.

It's how I figured it out that makes me want to add the sarcasm to "interesting." You see, I'm getting loads of information about Logan's brother. Too much. I'm not writing Kel's story and I don't need to know most of this stuff to write Logan's story.

Being the curious person I am, I started to ask Logan questions. He sidestepped me. I talked to Kel about Logan. He only gave me some basic info before sidestepping me. I asked assorted other people in Logan's life about him and they all gave general details before sidestepping the questions.

When I see this kind of systematic avoidance, it definitely makes me go hmmm. I have no doubt that he is generally easygoing and that his family is important to him. It's what's beneath that surface that's beginning to intrigue me--and frustrate me since I can't get answers yet.

One of the little facts that I found interesting is that Logan has more sexual experience than Kel, his twin. If I'd had to guess, I'd have picked the opposite. Kel's also gruffer and has a more prickly exterior, but that's because he's so empathetic and feels things so deeply, that he needs that extra protection. Which brings me back to Logan and has me going hmmm again.

I think I'm going to need to sit down, bring out the bright lights, and grill Logan to get some answers. The last thing I want is a mid-book surprise. Been there, done that.