BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Low Energy Fight

I finished a fight scene on Sunday and read it on yesterday. As I'm going through it, I'm thinking, "wow, is this thing flat or what?" I was hoping it read that way because I was tired (if I read my stuff when I need sleep, I always think it reeks), but as I kept going forward, I realized something. It reads flat because there aren't a lot of action words. Or if they're there, they're carefully hidden amid all the passive language. :-(

I think I've mentioned here that I've been putting things like "Add fight scene here" rather than writing them, and when I finally do get one finished, it's a total yawner. I'd bang my head against the wall, but I hate to damage my house. ;-)

Project for today is to tear this thing apart and make it more interesting than a lazy summer day. :-) What amazes me is that with as many action scenes as I've written that I couldn't get it right the first time. Heck, not only couldn't get it right, but couldn't even identify what the problem was until I was about three-quarters of the way through the scene.

And I'm still reading RITA books, which is really cutting into writing time.