BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, February 25, 2008

The Oscars

What's a Monday after the Oscar Awards without hearing from some author who likes to work in a pair of sweats? My favorite part of the awards show is getting to see the dresses and casting my own best and worst dressed lists.

To start out with the actual awards, I was rooting for Johnny Depp simply because he's the hottest guy in Hollywood or France, for that matter. I was very disappointed when Daniel Day Lewis won. I didn't see any of the movies up for Best Picture--actually, I don't believe I've seen any of the movies that had nominees up for the big six awards. I did see one of the pictures up for Best Special Effects. That would be Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

Anyway, after watching the show last night, I checked out a couple of films that looked like they might be interesting, but after reading the descriptions, I decided I didn't want to sit through them. My taste in film doesn't seem to coincide with the titles nominated for Best Picture.

Now on to my take on the clothes. I didn't get to watch the pre-game, oops, I mean pre-show coverage, so I missed a lot of the dresses unless the actress was on stage either as a presenter or as a winner. So with that caveat, here is my take on the clothes.

Best dressed: Katherine Heigl. I totally loved the red dress and the simplicity of it. The dress, in my mind, portrayed the glamor that Hollywood award shows should exemplify.

Worst dressed: Without question, it was Tilda Swinton who won for Best Supporting Actress. This was one of those "OMG, someone should have helped her pick out a decent dress" moments. When I saw that dress, I stared in appalled fascination. It was just awful and her hair and makeup didn't help anything.

The other dress I didn't care for was Marion Cotillard's mermaid gown. Access Hollywood picked it as one of the best, but I disagree. It wasn't hideous like Swinton's dress, but it sure wasn't glamorous to dress like a fish-woman. ;-)

One side note, what the heck was wrong with Renee Zellweger's eyes? I know the lights are bright, but she appeared to be the only person who had her eyes closed against the glare--or something. It was distracting.

And I'll close with a link to a picture of Johnny Depp. For no other reason except that he's hot!