BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Switch

It's funny sometimes how things change in writing so quickly. Like with the chapter I'm working on now--I knew both scenes that would comprise this chapter and I thought both of them would be from Shona's Point of View (POV). In fact, I was certain the second scene would be in her POV right up until yesterday when I finished the first scene.

Logically, it makes sense to do the second scene in Shona's POV. It allows the reader gets to see Logan's condition through her eyes, but as I neared the end of scene 1 last night, it was Logan's voice I was hearing, not Shona's.

Unlike how things usually work for me, I had a general idea in advance of how the next 4 or 5 scenes would go. I was even getting words from the scene that was going to be in Shona's POV. :-) Her reaction to seeing him, her curiosity, the outcome that discomfits her--all in her head. And then yesterday, Logan took over and it's his voice I'm getting.

This isn't a bad thing to have my plan change. I figure it has to add more depth to hear the scene as one person sees it and then get it down on paper from the other's perspective, but this isn't something I'm accustomed to having occur.

I'm looking forward to lunch hour when I can start writing this scene and find out why Logan took it over.