BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Gadgets, Gizmos and Doodads

I checked out the new Apple products today when I got home from work. They had a big presentation today, which I only know about because I follow Mac Rumors on Twitter, and unveiled all kinds of stuff. No new computers, I guess, at least I didn't see any on their home page, but I did see a movie demonstration of the iPod Touch.

If I tell you I drooled, will that give you an idea how much I want one? ;-) TBH, I want an iPhone, but there is no way on this earth that I'm paying that monthly fee. Not unless I win the lottery, and really, how often do people who don't buy tickets win? Anyway, the iTouch is a viable alternative although I would have to be someplace with wifi to use the internet. I can live with that.

Gadgets, gizmos, anything computer related and I want it. Never mind that I might not get a lot of use out of it, I just like the shiney stuff that does things.

But I run into another issue which kind of reins me in--I hate to buy something, say a new computer, when I know something better is on the way. I need a new laptop. There's nothing really wrong with the one I have now except that it's developing a few hiccups that are minor annoyances, but it's 3.75 years old and it's showing it's age. I've been monitoring its potential replacement for a few weeks now, but I haven't bought it even thought it's tempting. You see, I heard there's this new chip on the way and that it's appreciably better than what's available now.

I know that there's always going to be something better coming in the computer world, but it's so hard to commit when you know it's out there. Waiting until I'm locked in to something else. It's happened before. I bought a desktop computer like a month before USB ports were introduced. If you don't think that became a problem, you'd be wrong--I keep my desktops 6-8 years before I replace them.

I suppose it could be worse. I could be into cars, and as expensive as gadgets and gizmos are, cars are worse. But it's so hard to watch these demonstration videos and not want to pull out the credit card. Ah, well.

Just an update to my last post. My agent read the synopsis and passed it along to my editor without my needing to revise it first. Hurrah! I've started in on the story now, but it's hard to really get into it when I know I'm supposed to have revisions on the last book this week.