BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mistletoe and Holly

I talked about The Terminator and kick-butt characters over on my agent's blog today. This is a direct link that I didn't have when I first posted this morning. If you have a chance, come over and visit and maybe comment so I don't feel so alone. You see, Live Journal--where the blog is--was down for like 5 hours today and I'm guessing no one read the post. Considering I spent all day Sunday writing it, someone needs to read it. :-) Yes, I am begging.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, on to the blog post for today. I just downloaded Frank Sinatra's Mistletoe and Holly and well, I've been playing Christmas songs for nearly 2 weeks now. It's early, I know it, but it's been so darn cold in MN that it feels like December!

I've also had a co-conspirator in this--my cable company has music channels and the traditional holiday music kicked off I think at the beginning of November. I downloaded my first holiday song shortly after that--Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt.

You might have guessed that I love Christmas music. It's the only thing about winter I like. :-) And I've been known to play Dean Martin's Baby, It's Cold Outside at any time of year because 1) I heart Dean Martin and 2) I love that song.

There's one pattern in all the songs I've mentioned--every single one is a traditional song and each one is performed by a classic artist. I love Garth Brooks, but I don't want to listen to him sing Mistletoe and Holly. :-) Christmas means Andy Williams, Burl Ives, and Gene Autry, not any modern artist. Not for me at least.

I think it was last year (or maybe the year before), I spent weeks and weeks tracking down Christmas songs that my parents had played every year. It was no easy feat, either! I ended up buying complete CDs to find one song. I wanted Robert Goulet's I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas, Doris Day's Silver Bells and Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme singing Let It Snow among others. MP3s of the classics were hard to come by (hmm, maybe it was more than 2 years ago then? It doesn't seem that long ago) and even tracking down copies of the CDs were hard. I persevered.

That doesn't mean I'm still not adding to the holiday collection as I hear another great song that I forgot I loved. I love iTunes and Amazon--it's making my Christmas song collection so much easier to grow