BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Music Maestro, If You Please

Yesterday morning I woke up, booted up the laptop, and when it was time to write, I wanted to listen to Tchaikovsky. How weird is this? Let's just say that my classical music collection is practically nil and that that I had nothing by this composer at all. Anywhere.

BTW, I blame my vampire heroine for this. She was listening to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake during her story. And in a second aside, I have a title for this short now. I don't know if I'll get to keep it, but it works so well for the story on a couple of different levels. I'll share it when I know for sure I get to use it.

Okay, so back to Tchaikovsky. I needed him to write to and that was that, so I went to Amazon and browsed their MP3 collection. I ended up buying Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty and The Nutcracker Suite. Can I just say how much I love being able to buy MP3 music online and instantly download it onto my computer and iPod? In somewhere around five minutes, I had Tchaikovsky going in iTunes and I was writing.

I'm so into this instant gratification thing. :-) Whatever I'm in the mood for, if I don't already own it, I can go buy it and have it in minutes. Too cool! I know people say it's trading sound quality for convenience, but to my great sadness, I don't have a good musical ear and I don't hear an appreciable difference between CD and MP3 track. Not enough to ruin the experience for me. Call me a Philistine, but I'm good with it. :-)