BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Inching Along With the WIP

I'm trying a new blogging interface today rather than typing right on the site.  Let's see how this goes and if it was worth the time to download, setup, and figure out.  I am going to check to make sure everything looks okay, but if I miss something that looks strange, this would be why.

With that out of the way, I'm excited to tell y'all that In Twilight's Shadow is a finalist for Best Paranormal in the Write Touch Readers Choice Awards! This is always cool to hear.

The last time I talked about the story that I'm working on (WIP), I mentioned that my heroine drove a convertible and nothing I found was right.  I had some suggestions, and after checking them out, I discovered that her car is a Mazda Miata in blue.  The hard top convertible, BTW.  Yes, my characters really do get that picky, but it's nice to have her vehicle out of the way.  And yes, I have all kinds of pictures saved of the vehicle even though I don't know if even one scene will take place inside of it yet.  It's not always easy to be detailed oriented.  ;-)

Right now, instead of focusing on the characters, I'm trying to figure out the big picture stuff.  Like the plot.  What's happening?  Why?  What started things in motion?  What's going to keep them in motion for the other two books?  (It's a 3 book series--the hero and his friends.  At first I thought it was just going to be a one-shot deal, but then Mick and Royce showed up and I knew they had stories.   I don't know what those stories are and have no clue who their heroines are, but they're coming in far too strongly to not have books.)

So I did some brainstorming at lunch and came up with 3 titles to submit the stories with and 2 are actually good ones!  Or at least I think they're good.  One is so-so, but it fits the story plan for the third book. I have kind of a tag line for the series as well as a possible backstory and villain to carry over all three stories, but there's still so much I don't know yet.  Frustrating.

I tell you, it's so much easier for me to write a book when I know what the basic story is and have lived with the hero and heroine for a while.  Starting a new one without that intimacy is hard.  I keep thinking about how much easier it all was with the last book, but I'm sure getting started was the same type of struggle.  Sigh.