BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's Serendipity

Sometimes things come together in ways that astound me.

I wanted my method my heroine uses to time travel to the future to be based on science, not a magic necklace or her getting clobbered on the head. I had a thought on how to do this--maybe--and did some cursory reading. There on the Wikipedia page was something I could alter and use. Or that was my plan.

Yesterday as I tried to start this story, I realized I needed more information about the catalyst and started doing more research last night. And as I dug into this farther, I found my time travel method mentioned as a legitimate theory for this device. I think my shriek of glee was probably heard around the world. What I made up (or thought I'd made up) wasn't only plausible, real scientists had speculated the same thing I'd imagined.

How cool is this???

Now the argument could be made that I'd read this theory earlier and had simply forgotten I'd seen it. Entirely possible. But I like to believe it was serendipity, that I tapped into the collective unconscious and received the idea I needed at the right time.

To quote George Peppard from The A-Team: "I love it when a plan comes together."