BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Chasing Dreams

I'm a big believer in chasing dreams. Not unachievable dreams like being an Olympic gymnast if you're 60 years old, but doable dreams. Real dreams. From the time I was 14, mine was to be a writer, to tell stories and share them with others. Dreams are good.

But I'm not going to talk about me today. I want to talk about someone who never, ever gave up on his dream even when it would have been easy for him to do it. The man's name is Bobby Scales and he's an infielder currently on the Chicago Cubs roster.

Bobby Scales has been in the minor leagues for ten years. He played 1013 games, had 3303 at bats, and 942 hits. He had to supplement his income by substitute teaching in the off season in his home down in Georgia, but he still pursued his dream. He never gave up.

I have the utmost respect for this man. He's 31 years old and kids younger than him were called up. How many players has he watched come and go while he toiled away in the minors?

Here's what he said about why he didn't give up:
"A lot of different things," Scales said. "From the baseball side of it, just a belief I could play. It may sound hokey but I knew in the depths of my soul that I could play this game. I felt I could help a big league team win games in whatever capacity that a manager saw fit to use me. I knew that. That's part of it and the support I got from my family. My wife, my mom and dad have been unbelievable.
And in his first major league game with the Cubs, Scales got his first hit, scored his first run, and struck out for the first time. In eight big league games, he's hitting .333, has 1 home run, 5 RBIs.

He achieved his dream after ten years of working hard. That's a pretty darn big deal. Are you still pursuing yours?