BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Picking More Theme Songs

I realized yesterday that I didn't have a theme song for my short story in The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2 and I always come up with a song. Sometimes it's harder than others and sometimes I get lucky and the song makes itself known to me. This time I had to work for it and then I got lucky. :-)

You know there's a story about it, right? I spent time going through my iPod and trying different songs that I thought might work, but if the lyrics were right, the tone of the song wasn't and if the tone was right, the lyrics didn't work for me. Now granted, some of the songs for other stories are only tangentially related in both music and words, but there's usually some connection for me no matter how tenuous it might seem to everyone else. I wasn't finding that yesterday.

After coming up empty, I thought I'd have to settle for something because I didn't have a lot of time to spend on this. But when I arrived home and plugged in my iPod to update it, I saw something in iTunes. Daughtry. The first song listed: It's Not Over. I listened to it and it works. It's edgy enough and the lyrics can be said to fit Blood Feud. Not exactly, of course, but then with a few exceptions none of the theme songs fit precisely.

Now I decided I needed a theme song for the Time Travel short story. BTW, I still have no title for it. I had an idea come to me today, but it might be stupid and it doesn't have any symmetry with Eternal Nights. Since this story is about a member of Wyatt's team (he was the hero in EN), I'd like to tie it in somehow. But I digress--no surprise to any regular blog visitor. :-)

So theme song for the untitled TT. I thought of the TV show Life On Mars immediately and all the great music they used. I even bought some of it after I heard it on the show. I checked out David Bowie's Space Oddity first, but that didn't really work for me. Next up was Spaceman by Harry Nilsson. Again, it's not an exact fit, but this song talks about returning to Earth, and since my heroine winds up on Jarved Nine, that works. I decided to go with this one even though there were a number of other songs I found that would work, too.

Theme songs are now in place for my short stories! Yea! Now I just need to update my website and my iTunes online list.