BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Couple Months With My Kindle

I've had my Kindle now for about 2 1/2 months now and I love it--a lot. I like being able to take it with me to appointments and know I'll never run out of things to read. That's a two-fold bonus. One, it holds a lot of books and two, if I do finish everything I have, I can use the Whispernet connection to buy more. I don't have much time to read, but somehow it seems easier to squeeze that time in on the Kindle.

Another benefit to the Kindle is all the free reads available. There are also books sold at reduced prices like a $1.00. This has had me downloading authors I might not have tried before at full paperback price. I hardly ever get to read, and when I do pickup a book, I want a guaranteed winner which means I've tried fewer new authors.

My other favorite part is I guess ebook in general rather than Kindle related, but there are more shorter reads available like Nocturne Bites. The smaller size story means I can actually finish a book now before I forget everything I read earlier. :-) Like I said, my reading time is extremely limited.

It's also allowed me to read more ebook only books. Before I would order them, download them to my computer and never read them because I spend enough time on the laptop, darn it. The Kindle changes that equation for me.

Drawbacks. My biggest pain is the lack of a file management system. I want folders so I can sort my books into various categories. Barring that, I wish Amazon would set things up so that the stories I finish would drop to the bottom of the list of books when I'm sorted by date downloaded. I don't remember titles and the little dots aren't the easiest thing to use to judge whether or not I've finished a story or just got really close to finishing it.

Maybe this is psychological, but while I love the Kindle for books I know I'll only read once, I still want my must-buy and/or keeper authors/books in paperback. This might change over time because I sure love not having to buy more bookshelves, but for right now, if it's a book I might reread, it's still paper for me.

Other drawback is so many people are curious and start asking me questions while I'm trying to read. I suppose once more ereaders and Kindles are around, the questions will stop, but right now I feel like I should get demonstration model pay because that's what I end up doing a lot of times when I read in public. :-)

Overall, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and after a couple of months of use, I'm giving this purchase a thumbs up.