BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Just the Sunday Blog

Today, I wrote 10 pages. That's a lot for me. I normally manage 8 on a really good weekend day, so this was stellar. (Although once upon a time, I used to be able to write 20 pages on a Sunday. Ah, well.) Anyway, these 10 pages left me pretty mentally drained which means writing a blog post is challenging. To say the least.

I really like this story. I really like this hero and heroine, but they've given me fits from the start. I rewrote the first chapter of this book more times than any other first chapter ever. I wish I was exaggerating, but I keep track of any substantial changes to a chapter by sticking a letter after the chapter number. I made it to "O" on this story. Or maybe I should say "P" since today I was rewriting chapter one again.

Tonight, I have no perspective on whether or not the change I made worked, but I sure hope it did.

The beginning is very important for me to get right. It's the foundation the entire rest of the book rests on so it has to be level and sturdy. Sometimes this is harder to do than other times, but I'll get it. Eventually.