BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Guest Blogger: Rowan Larke

Today, I have a guest blogger--Rowan Larke.

Rowan and I had been online acquaintances for a while--I remember at least one chat room conversation I did that she was at--but it was when we had a chance to talk regularly on Twitter, that we became friends and writing buddies. She's one third of my plot group, and as well as being an awesome writer, Rowan is sweet, insightful, and incredibly nice.

Now for a more formal introduction: Rowan’s always wanted to be a writer. Always. She never thought she’d be lucky enough to make money doing it, though.

She never really planned on writing erotic romance – she thought she’d be writing epic fantasy. However, when her characters came to her and gave her the most unconventional happily ever after possible, she knew she had to write them. Like her children, her characters are full of surprises, and work almost autonomously – Rowan’s just happy to sit back and enjoy the ride.

* * *

Thanks, Patti, for letting me borrow your blog today!

And…Hi! To Patti’s readers.

I’m going to start off with my fangirl hat on tight. Once upon a time, a friend sent me a book. “You’ll love it,” she said. She was right. It was IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR by Patti O’Shea, and I LOVE that book, as well as everything else I’ve read by Patti since. So, I’m quite honoured to be here.

Somehow, in the time since I read that book, Patti and I have become friends. (yeah, I’m actually as surprised by that as anyone, and sometimes I see her books on my bookshelf and think “omg! I talked to her on the phone yesterday!” which makes me sound like a total nerd, but whatever.)

Even more surreal…Patti’s read some of my work.

Now, anyone who reads Patti’s blog is pretty aware, she’s a nice person. Very sweet, and she rarely swears. (tho she’s done it, I heard her!) So I sort of offered her this book tentatively, but I needed some advice, too...and frankly, writers are always hopeful that people will like their work. At the same time, we're always afraid people will hate us, personally, for what we've written. So I offered it up, and then...got scared.


“Patti…it’s dark.”
She said she’d read it.
“But no, really, Patti. It’s got a lot of sex in it.”
She still said she’d read it.
“Patti, it’s got angels who do really naughty things.”

By this point, I was actually a little desperate, because one thing you might not know about Patti from reading her blog - girl is stubborn.
She wasn’t giving in.

So I sent it, terrified she was going to realize I’m not such a nice girl after all.

I chewed my nails. I paced. I tried working on my next book (a much lighter book. A paranormal romantic suspense, more along the lines of what Patti writes.) and I waited. And I ate chocolate. And waited.

About three ‘o’ clock I got an email. “I’m almost done…. I had to print out the last ten pages to read!”

I think that’s good. I mean, I wanted to think that was good. I went back to pacing.

Finally, another email. “Oh, honey, that was awesome.”

I died a little with relief, and played it cool “you really and for-true liked it?!”

And because of all that, I’m here today, to invite you to read a book Patti liked, although I’m going to give you the same warnings I gave her:

It’s dark

There is a lot of sex - and not all of it sweet, or gentle.

There’s a lot of swearing. (*wince* I might have erased a few words while writing this post, even.)

There are BDSM themes.

So with those warnings in mind, here’s the blurb, and buy link for my book A Love Neverending, available now at Loose-Id (http://loose-id.com):

Death took Jason from Clarissa, and she blames herself. Night after night, she throws herself into the arms of other men—men who abuse and pleasure her, but never take her far enough. She is waiting for the one who will take her over the edge and into death, so she can be reunited with Jason.

Death didn’t take Jason far enough. Every night, Jason watches. His immortal self is trapped inside the club Clarissa owns, and he longs to be with her once more.

Death is a dark angel. A handsome man. The promise of violence in his eyes draws Clarissa to him. Will a single night in bed with Death be all it takes to destroy Jason and Clarissa’s love neverending, or will it be just the beginning?

Publisher's Note: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and situations that some readers may find objectionable: BDSM theme and content, violence, voyeurism