BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Adventures With Computers

I really wish I didn't have this topic to blog about. Unfortunately, my iMac had a major meltdown this week. It didn't seem like a big deal, not at first, but it sure ended up being an ordeal. As I'm typing this, I'm erasing my hard drive.

Yes, all my programs, all my files, everything is being wiped out. When the erasing is finished, I'll reload my operating system and keep my fingers crossed that everything works when I'm done. This is my last hurrah, my final stand before I'll be forced to bring it in to someone to fix for me. I've tried every other suggestion I could find for the problem the computer developed, but when none of them fixed the issue, I had to resort to drastic measures.

The irony is that I bought my iMac desktop because I wanted a computer that just worked. I was tired of the hassle I had with my desktop PC, and when I was shopping, Vista was the operating system available. I didn't want that.

Right now, Vista is looking better.

Wiping the hard drive is a pain, but it's not as horrible as it could be because I have an automatic backup service and plan to reinstall all my files from there. There are only a couple of programs that I downloaded online that I want to keep, so that shouldn't be too much of a hassle either. If this desperate measure works...

Okay, erasing the drive and reinstalling worked! And it is a PITA to reload my programs, especially since I don't remember the names of a couple of the utilities I really liked. I'll worry about that later. Right now, Carbonite is restoring all my files. I'm feeling especially grateful that I paid for off-site backup.