BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Some Random Thoughts

I'm kind of brain fried after writing all weekend, so instead of trying to write a long, cohesive post, I'll just mention a few random things.

--Heroes come in all walks of life. I overheard a conversation on Friday between my boss and another engineer. They were both talking about the storm and how they got up and turned on the weather report so they'd know whether or not they'd need to wake their families and have them move to the basement. I thought that was pretty damn awesome. I'm going to have to put something like this in one of my books. This is the quiet, day to day stuff that really counts when it comes to relationships and families.

--Conversation with my dad tonight that made me crazy:

I open the refrigerator door and the butter rolls out and onto the floor. I mutter a curse, pick it up and put it back in the fridge.

My dad asks why I'm swearing. I tell him the butter fell on the floor. And he honest to God asked me if I'd picked it up. ::banging head against wall::

No, Dad, I left it on the floor. Who even asks a question like that?

--The pitcher for the Twins today had a no hitter through 7 innings. The manager pulled him out and put a reliever out in the 8th. If I were that pitcher, I'd be really angry. Pitching a no-hitter is maybe a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The manager shouldn't have taken that achievement away from him. Send him out, and if he gives up a hit, then pull him. This man will spend the rest of his life wondering what if? That's a pretty cruel thing to leave someone with.

--The WordPress For Dummies book did help me a fair amount. Most of it was a little simple for me, but it did hit things I didn't know. Overall, I'd rate the book helpful, and if you're new to WordPress, very helpful.

Hope you all have a great week!