BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Music and Brainstorms

Before I start, I wanted to share that Edge of Dawn is a finalist for Best Paranormal in the Aspen Gold Awards!

Now, on with the topic!

I get all my story information through my characters and they tend to talk to me on an as-needed basis, which means if I'm putting together a proposal for a trilogy, I'll know the first hero and heroine, I'll have some on the second h/h, but that the third set will pretty much be enigmas to me. And since my stories come from characters, any blurb I write about their book is a guess. I tend to keep it kind of vague, just going with the iota of information I have and leave it there.

I also like theme songs for my books. Sometimes I go hunting the songs and sometimes I'll be listening to my iPod or the radio and have something jump out at me. This is what happened to me yesterday. I was shuffling Seether at work and Fake It came on.

At first, I wasn't really paying attention, but then the lyrics started to register and I sat up straighter. It dawned on me that this might be the theme song for h/h number 3. And suddenly the hero about whom I knew next to nothing started giving me information. He went from a cardboard, placeholder character to a man with his own issues and quirks. I played and replayed this song for a lot of the morning.

It's always so awesome when the right song makes itself known because then every time it plays, more of the character comes through to me. That's what's been happening here. I was lucky on this series--not only did all three books pick their own songs, I also have a song for the series as a whole.

I'm still not sure how the pieces I received yesterday about the hero and heroine fit into the story, but by the time I get to there, I'll know. In the meantime, I'll be listening to Seether a lot.