BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Light Bulb!

While I was at work today, I had an idea pop into my head. I love it when this happens. New ideas are always shiny and perfect, not yet tarnished by trying to make them actually work with words or as a story. :-)

Right now, I don't know if this is part of a book/series I'm aware of--it could be a missing piece for something I already have in mind. I don't know if this idea might be it's own separate story--I'll spend time mulling, turning it over to see if it's strong enough to support a book. I'll also see if new characters turn up. At this point, I don't even know if the idea is something that I'll end up not using.

At least not using in the foreseeable future. When the idea about Deke came in, I wrote down "Deke Summers PI is an animated cartoon figure. The soul of a man, the real Deke, is trapped inside the cartoon." Or words to that effect. I had no story for this at all. For ten years, the note sat and then one day Ryne showed up and it turned out Deke was her hero. Even ideas that might appear to go nowhere can turn into something later. At least it can be a piece of something later.

New ideas bring an adrenaline spike for me. Hey, new shiny is always exciting. It pushes everything else aside as I run scenarios, trying to see how (or if) it will work. I'll turn it around, look at it from different sides. I'll try to piece it into ideas that are in queue to be written. Sometimes the reason they're not what I'm working on is that something is missing.

If it turns out to only be a snippet, I'll be disappointed. But I'll write it down and hope that some day it will fit into a project. But I'm wishing for more than this. We'll see.

* * *

The Raven Halloween Hunt is underway! Follow the link for the rules and prizes, but you can probably guess books are involved, right?


There are lots of awesome authors involved and lots of awesome prizes, so be sure to check it out. The contest lasts for the month of October.