BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Fear Factor

With baseball season over, I've been watching other television while I'm not writing. Often, I have some project that needs to be done (like converting my short stories for e-readers or looking for pictures as I blogged about on Sunday), so I'm not paying strict attention to what's on. I'm not a fan of reality TV, so I usually end up on the Discovery Channel, History Channel, Science Channel or something like that.

Sometimes there's just plain nothing on and I'll just choose one of them because I don't feel like putting music on. This has it's good points and it's bad. On the positive side, watching one of these "Chariots of the gods" shows gave me an answer for a story I was working on.

On the negative side, I scare myself. :-) Hey, I'm a writer! I have a very active imagination and it doesn't take much to set it off.

I had one of the negatives happen the other night. There was a prophecy show--Nostradamus and some modern guy who uses mathematics to predict the future. Apparently they both agree on a lot of points. And whichever show this was happily showed clips of global warming scenarios, world war three scenarios, and general death and destruction scenes. Gee, thanks.

This is the reason why I try to skip those shows that cover prophecy because they always portray the worst possibilities, never the best. I suppose showing a the shining future that might be ours doesn't hold the same ratings potential of doom and gloom, but I'm tired of doom and gloom. Nostradamus needs to give me some happy!