BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Past

On this eve before Christmas Eve, I thought it might be fun to share a few of my holiday memories. I don't anticipate having a cohesive whole, but rather random things that stuck with me.

The first Christmas I have a solid memory of is the one when I was 5. I wanted a Barbie doll soooooo bad...and didn't get one. I couldn't believe Santa didn't bring me the one thing I wanted more than anything in the world. I'm sure there were tears to go along with the disappointment. I got Barbie on my 6th birthday.

It was maybe a couple years later when an older neighborhood girl told me there was no such thing as Santa. I went straight to my mom and asked. Instead of telling me yes or no on Santa, my mom asked me what I thought. As soon as Mom asked the question, I knew the girl was right--Santa didn't exist. Maybe I should have marked this as a spoiler.

Of course, I had a younger brother who still believed in Santa. I remember helping my mom and dad put out his presents from Santa and thinking it was pretty cool to be in on the adult secrets. That probably happened a year or two after the big reveal.

Some of my favorite memories involve the dogs, first Mush and then Kody. They always got presents, too, usually dog treats wrapped up. One year my parents gave my brother golf balls and the box was the same size and shape as the dog's gift. Mush grabbed my brother's present from under the tree and ran around with it because she thought it was hers.

Mush used to open her Christmas presents. She'd take the paper off, ripping just like a little kid. Kody wouldn't take her own paper off. She made one of us do it for her.

I'm still dreaming of a green Christmas. I've never had one of those.

Merry Christmas and/or happy holidays! I wish each and every one of you a safe and joyous holiday season!