BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bright and Shiny

A writing friend and I were talking last week about how the story we write changes from the original idea. It's something I've thought about in the past and it's a frustration that a lot of writers experience--at least this is my take on it from conversations I've heard online and in real life. It's also one of those things that we have to accept.

You see new ideas come in and they're bright and shiny and perfect. They're always more perfect and more shiny and brighter than what we're currently writing. Because they're conceptual in the beginning.

But as an idea is considered, it has to change. Logic holes are found, characters rebel and refuse to conform to the idea (at least if the idea came first and not the characters. For me, the characters often come first and tell me what their story is.), and new threads pop in, twisting the original idea because it's the only way they'll work together.

I don't see this as a bad thing. Sometimes what I get once I start writing is better than the original idea. Sure, it's not shiny any more--once you start writing, the shine always comes off because now it's work--but that doesn't mean it's less than what it was. It's simply different and different isn't inherently bad.