BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Always Room For One More

There I was, minding my own business on Sunday, when this voice starts talking to me. I know, I've probably scared the normal people, but writers do hear voices. It's okay. We're mostly harmless.

This happens fairly frequently, so I kind of have this mental checklist I run through. Who are you? What story do you belong to? So what world do you belong to? The last question comes in because usually they're from a new story and then I need to know which world they're part of. This character didn't have an answer for the world question either.

I started guessing, running through all the worlds I have for all the ideas I'm either working on or planning to work on. No to all of them. I sighed. Great, another new world when I have ideas backed up so far, I'm making lists to keep track of the ones I want to work on.

The voice was male, but what he said was pretty cynical, so it begged the question if this was a hero or a villain. He wasn't particularly helpful in answering this question either. I hate it when they aren't helpful. But I reached the conclusion he was a hero.

A really dark hero.

And once I figured that out, he went away! I needed him to leave because I'm finishing up another proposal and would like it done. I also have another idea for a short story that's waiting in the wings and I definitely want to get to it soon. But good grief, the least he could do was give me more information before pulling the vanishing act! I'm really curious about what's going on with him and what kind of world he lives in. It's so frustrating to be teased and then given nothing.

Sigh. I guess I wait and see if he comes back.