BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Totally To the Max, For Sure

One of the movies I enjoy is a guilty pleasure--Valley Girl. Actually, if you can get past the title and the way they talk (like gag me with a spoon, ya know), it's a cute movie. Nicolas Cage plays a boy from the wrong side of the tracks who's interested in a valley girl. She's interested in him, too, but all her friends are pressuring her to be with Biff or whatever the popular boy's name is.

In the movie, though, there is one of my favorite lines of all time. Our heroine is glum. She's being forced to choose between her social position/friends at school and this boy from Hollywood that she really likes. So as she's sitting on the couch, all morose, her father comes in.

He asks her what's wrong and she tells him she has a problem and she doesn't know what to do. His response? "Take it back and get the more expensive one. You know the more expensive ones always fit better."

No matter how many times I see the movie, her father's assumption just makes me grin. I own very few DVDs, but this is one film I had to buy. It's just too much fun not to pull out now and then and rewatch.

My rating: 4/5 High on the fun factor, but the Valley Girl slang gets a little wearying.