BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Insurrection!

My heroine and I spent the past weekend arguing. About a major plot element that sets up the entire romance.

Keep in mind that she originally voiced no opposition as I formed the general plot for this story. I thought that meant it was all good. As it turned out, it wasn't.

I've mentioned before that my characters refuse to do what I want them to do if it's something they don't agree with. I sit and spin my wheels until I go back and change what they don't like. This time, I didn't even write the part of the scene yet that she was objecting to. This was a pre-objection. :-)

Actually, I'm okay with her objecting before I reach that part of the scene. It saves me from writing stuff I won't be able to use and keeps me from coming to a complete stop as I try to figure out what's wrong. It just would have been nice if she'd said something earlier.

I guess the fact that we spent an entire day arguing is my fault. I should have just agreed to change what she didn't like. It wasn't as if I had a choice, but this was a major structural piece of the story and I didn't want to give it up.

As it turned out, though, it wasn't too difficult to fix the issue. This surprised me. I expected to spend a lot of time struggling with this, but when I went to bed Saturday night, the answer popped into my head.

Sometimes there are epiphanies.