BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's All a Matter of Perspective

I'm working on a story set in the Blood Feud universe right now and one of things I really enjoy about the world is that there is no single bad guy. The vampire hunters are evil to vampires, but I've done a couple of vampire hunter heroines. The demons are evil to the demon slayers, but I've paired up a slayer with a demon. The vampires and demons fought a war with each other, yet now they're trying to forge an alliance. Someone from any group could be the hero or heroine and someone from any group can be the villain.

I really love this!

It's given me a chance to play with perspective. Isobel and Seere from Blood Feud don't understand the animosity lingering between their peoples (She's a vampire, he's a demon) because they weren't alive during the wars and they fell in love with each other.

On the other hand, Andras from Demon Kissed makes some throwaway comment about vampires being bastards. He's too young to have fought in the wars, too, but the prejudice against vamps has made into his world view.

I'm working on the fourth story set in this universe now. Enemy Embrace introduces one of the rogue vampires as a villain, but in another story I have planned, a rogue vampire is the heroine. :-) This story also introduces the fact that there are wizards. Dak, the hero of Enemy Embrace, hates wizards. He finds them self-serving and untrustworthy. Do I need to mention I have a story planned with a wizard hero?

There are all kinds of different groups with different agendas, groups with different factions, and groups filled with people who hold different viewpoints. In some ways, it might be easier to just make one group always be evil and the rest always be good, but that's not nearly as fun and it's not realistic.

I have three more stories that I know of right now and my plan is to deepen the alliance between the vampires and demons. Things are afoot that they aren't aware of quite yet, but they're going to need to work together--whether they like it or not.