BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

It's Not Just a Job

Truly, every day is an adventure inside my head. Something new always happens. Usually, it's a new story or new characters talking. That's totally normal to me and I take it in stride. I can even shrug off a return of old characters. They rarely come around, but it's occurred. The other night, though, I entered uncharted territory.

It started out normal enough. Ravyn and Damon came in with Cam.

It isn't the first time they've shown up and I was like, okay, hello. But after a little vignette with Cam, the strange part happened. I started to see what their romance/story would have looked like if there wasn't a killer on Jarved Nine.

This was a first for me. It wasn't as if I'd made a choice when I wrote the story about what the circumstances were that set it off and that I opted to have someone kill almost everyone on the planet. The story for Ravyn's Flight came to me when I saw Ravyn huddled on the floor, her arms wrapped around her knees. I knew something awful had happened, but I didn't know what and I began writing the story to find out.

I'm still trying to figure out why I suddenly got this scenario. I have to say, though, that although it was kind of a WTH moment, it was pretty cool. Writers are always asking what if? And while this wasn't a question I'd thought of before, once it popped inside my head, it intrigued me.

No one will be surprised if I mention that they fell in love in this version, too, right?

The whole thing, while weird in the extreme, was fun, too. I got to revisit a couple of characters that I liked, saw a cool story, and I wasn't required to do anything except be entertained. I'm calling this a win.