BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Still A Thrill

Someone said to me the other day that seeing the covers for my books must be old hat and pretty mundane for me. That's not true. My first book came out in 2002 and even now, I anticipate each cover. And if I love it, I become hugely excited.

There are a lot of parts of being an author that are still exciting. OMG, seeing your book on the shelves at the bookstore? Or an airport bookstore? Sheer elation. Author copies being delivered to the doorstep. Opening that box and seeing the story you slaved over for months and months printed and bound and looking so pretty? Completely awesome. And every time someone sends me an email telling me they loved my book? Rapture. Seriously. My favorite part is when readers love my book.

None of this excitement has ever faded for me, no matter how many times I've experienced it. And I think this is a good thing. If a writer loses the wonder (not just with the writing/editing/revision part, but with the little joys like holding your book for the first time), they've lost something intangible that I think affects their work.

Actually, my life philosophy overall is that we have to enjoy moments--big or small. It doesn't matter if it's the first time or the tenth time, we have to savor and embrace the good stuff.