BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Here They Go Again

Since I wrote my posts about the characters in my Works In Progress (WIP), one of my heroes informed me that his name isn't his name. I hate when they do that. Last names aren't a very big deal because when I think of them, I rarely use their surnames, but changing the given name does throw me.

The thing that's so frustrating is that this is a character that's been around for a long time and his name has always been Michael. Until now. Now he tells me it isn't. That his name changed when he moved from a contemporary story to an alternate universe, and that in this alternate universe, he's different from who he was before and he has a different first name.

His logic made sense to me, but the problem? He's not telling me what his name is supposed to be. Oh, he's happy to tell me what it isn't. And apparently it isn't any name I've come across online or in a naming book. At least so far.

I can't even get him to give me a hint. A simple It starts with a B or whatever would help tremendously. But nope. No help from him whatsoever.

So in the meantime, I'm still thinking of him as Michael. If he doesn't like it, maybe he'll reconsider his level of cooperation.